Sunday, February 27, 2011

Digital Painting Practice


I have been digital painting for a few years now. From what I can tell you, digital painting is naturally learning like a new medium whether that be oil painting, watercolor, acrylics and so forth.The same theory applies such as anatomy,color theory and value. Till this day I still have painting problems that pop here and there.

So over the years, I have been experimenting different methods on how to paint. Since drawing digital has  such a different/flat feeling compare to watercolour painting. So far I believe the best method proven to help me is to try and treat it in a classical oil painting approach by starting with a sepia/brown tone background. Than slapping some flat colors just to get the feel on what your trying to approach. After that, slowly render your idea with subtle changes of volume, I try not to get carried away in this step since I tend to try to go high value contrast with out getting the middle value in first. Which can make the painting process feel very choppy and frustrating.

Overall I had a good experience with this painting, I have also learned to have a sense of patience and that painting a picture takes time to evolve into a finish product. You cant rush it, and if you get frustrated take a small break and away from  your painting and simply come back to it with a fresh set of eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment