Thursday, February 10, 2011

The importance of backgrounds.

When ever I draw anything, especially character related. I always remind myself to try my best to add a background of some kind. When you don't add a background and just leave the character floating in white space. The viewer cant really get much out of it on whats going on. In other words the picture lacks texture/space/idea. People will naturally ask in there head, where is this character? where is he going? Why is he holding a box of items?Where did he get the box of items? With no clues to indicate, the viewer is some what forced to used there imagination. which is okay, but with out any small clues. The viewer may get bored and eventually say its "just a character in blank white space" nothing much.




Now what happens when you take the time to add a background? You establish a sense of space. The character now exist somewhere that people might familiarize themselves. I also decided to add a variety of few random items, in a some what disorganized fashion. Hoping to give viewers, that the character is "moving". it can go both ways, moving out, or moving in. I purposely left it that way for viewer to decided on that. Although if I did wanted to show a character moving out. I would of tried drawing a different scenery, maybe a character packing the last item on a truck. for a character moving in, a character in a empty room setting up a poster and furniture. there are many ways to go with this. But I always found adding a background is a essential compositional tool/ingredient to helping expressing your story/idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment